Yesterday I mentioned that Donald Trump had said transgender people should be able to safely use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender: "There have been very few complaints the way it is. People go. They use the bathroom that they feel is appropriate. There has been so little trouble."
Naturally, this momentary lapse of decency was immediately seized upon by his opponent Ted Cruz, who posted this contemptible shit to his Facebook page:
Video Description: The entire video is in black and white, for maximum menace, with ominous music playing.There are about a hundred different reasons this video is a despicable pile of hot garbage, but here are just ten:
Over footage of a public restroom, text onscreen reads: "Should a grown man pretending to be a woman be allowed to use the women's restroom?"
Over a photo of a blond white little girl, holding her mother's hand, text reads: "The same restroom used by your daughter? Your wife?"
Text onscreen over image of Trump: "Donald Trump thinks so."
Video of Donald Trump saying: "People go. They use the bathroom that they feel is appropriate."
Over more footage of a public restroom, text reads: "It's not appropriate. It's not safe. It's PC nonsense that's destroying America."
Over image of Trump, text reads: "Donald Trump won't take on the PC police. He's one of them."
1. Trans women are categorically not "grown men pretending to be women."
2. This is not about "allowing" trans people to use the appropriate bathroom. Trans people already use the appropriate bathroom, as (I can't believe I'm actually writing this) Donald Trump pointed out. It's about DISallowing trans people from using the appropriate bathrooms.
3. The entire video rests on the "trans predator" narrative, which is not only complete bullshit but also conservative projection. There are literally zero examples of transgender women using public restrooms to assault cis women.
4. Even if there were examples of trans women assaulting cis women in public bathrooms, that would still not be justification for enacting legislation that makes all trans women less safe. If the fact that a woman had been sexually assaulted were used as justification for prohibiting access to the entire population to which her assaulter belonged, men could say goodbye to restrooms, college, bars, public transportation, and virtually every other public space.
5. Cruz's video treats women and girls like we are the property of straight men who need to be protected. "Your daughter? Your wife?" He doesn't even make an attempt to include in this appeal the very people whose safety ostensibly needs protecting. We are mere props. Senator Cruz, stop using me.
6. It is both appropriate and safe for trans people to use whatever fucking bathroom they want.
7. Trans people using whatever bathroom they want is not "destroying America."
8. It is also not "PC nonsense." It is hardly "political correctness" to suggest that people should be allowed to use the appropriate bathroom in order to guarantee their safety. It's basic decency.
9. Donald Trump is hardly the goddamn PC police. He's one of the most odious bigots with a massive platform in the entire country.
10. This entire ad is so reprehensible it needs to be immediately thrown into a dumpster fire. Treating trans people's identities and safety like a political football is grossly indecent.
A new low, Ted Cruz. A new goddamn low.
UPDATE: And right on cue: "Less than 24 hours after saying transgender individuals should be able to 'use the bathroom they feel is appropriate,' Donald Trump backtracked from that pro-LGBT position. Speaking with Sean Hannity on Fox News Thursday evening, the Republican presidential frontrunner decided that while he still believes North Carolina's law overturning local anti-discrimination ordinances is 'causing a lot of problems,' he thinks 'local communities and states should make the decision. The federal government should not be involved.' This comes despite the fact that there was never any questions over whether the feds should have a say in the matter."